When a noun refers commonly to any person, place or thing of the same kind or class, we call it a Common Noun. Most of the nouns are Common Nouns and they are different from Proper Nouns. They are not written with a capital letter at the beginning unless we start sentences with them.
A Common Noun is a name given in common to every person or thing of the same class or kind.
List of Common Nouns:
|Classification||Common Noun Examples|
|They are words for things||ruler, chair, mobile, dictionary, carpet, lawnmower, bus, computer, courage, telephone, spade, printer, hammer, bicycle, pen, table, ship, calculator, crayons, sofa, truck, television, pencil, fridge, book, lamp, ladder, train, cooker, whiteboard, marker, duster, registers, maps, globe etc.,|
|They are words for animals||elephant, giraffe, kangaroo, tortoise, alligator, chameleon, bird, wolf, snake, frog, horse, ant, donkey, cow, buffalo, lion, tiger, dear, fish, bear, dog, goat, cat, fox etc.|
|They are words for people||singer, dancer, artist, photographer, magician, driver, officer, doctor, engineer, principal, peon, labor, nurse, shopkeeper, gatekeeper, sweeper, salesman, philosopher, teacher, minister, president, businessperson, writer, student, friend, boy, girl, toddler, baby, teenager, woman, man, person etc.,|
|They are words for places||bank, airport, continent, country, state, city, town, village, hotel, school, classroom, university, college, park, shop, coffee shop, zoo, water park, mall, supermarket, post office, police station, house, laboratory, library, museum, stadium, building, restaurant, temple, mosque, church, etc.|
|They are words for relations||brother, sister, baby, child, children, uncle, aunt, father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, daughter, son, etc.|
|Theyare words for fruits and vegetables||apple, guava, custard apple, kiwi, watermelon, cherry, mango, banana, grapes, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, corn, cucumber, mushrooms, potato, carrot, beetroot, peach, fig, pumpkin, tomato, spinach, cabbage, etc.,|
Common Noun Examples in Sentences:
- Lion is the king of the jungle.
- The Taj Mahal is a great monument located in the city of Agra.
- Goutham and his two sisters have joined the same school.
- Most of the students are avoiding online classes.
- Blackboards have been replaced by interactive boards in our school.
Proper Nouns and Common Nouns
|PROPER NOUNS||COMMON NOUNS|
- Kalam is a great scientist.
- Ricky is a clever student.
- India is a great country with beautiful mountains, cities and towns.
- The car that I have recently purchased is Ford Freestyle
Rules to be followed with Common Nouns:
- Capital letters are not normally used with Common Nouns unless they are at the beginning of a sentence.
- Articles and other modifiers like another, any may be used with Common Nouns.
- Common Nouns can be used for singular and plural numbers.
- My friend is a good singer. (No capital letter)
- He is working as a professor . (No capital letter)
- School is a lighthouse for society. (Beginning word. So capital letter is used)
- School education is a beacon light for human life. (Beginning word. So capital letter is used)
- Shops have been closed today on the eve of May Day. (Beginning word. So capital letter is used)
Common Nouns Exercise:
Pick the Common Nouns from the following sentences:
- Many people are getting affected by Coronavirus.
- Nowadays, people cannot live without television in their house.
- Mobiles have changed the lifestyle of people.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
- All teachers have appreciated the student who got selected for IAS.
- Mangoes are many available in summer.
- There are no good hotels in the city.
- People are not going to restaurants due to Covid19.
- Dogs are faithful animals.
- Cows are useful animals.