How to Read Long Words in English
Long words in English Language are called sesquipedalian words (long or polysyllabic) and still longer words are described as hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian words.
Most of these long words in English are technical and we are unlikely to come across in our daily life. So several of these words may not be defined or given their meanings in the dictionaries. But to quench the thirst of a curious learner of English Language I provide here much vital stuff about these words.
Before we try to know the meaning of these sesquipedalian words, a big question that pops up in our mind is how we read them. Right? Don’t worry. We have a simple method called ‘divide and conquer’ to read such big and difficult words in English. Generally, these long words are coined by adding prefixes and suffixes to the existing words to serve the new purposes.
So, identify these parts, divide them and conquer reading the entire word easily without any difficulty in a meaningful manner.
For example: Here is a 45 lettered long word which can be found in major English Language Dictionaries. Meaning of this word is provided in the list given below.
PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVO LCANOCONIOSIS (45 letters)
PNEUMONO / ULTRA / MICRO/ SCOPIC / SILICO / VOLCANO / CONIOSIS
It is that simple if you properly divide the word however big it is.
But be careful. Don’t divide the words meaninglessly as
Psycho / the / rapist
Here is a marathon list of great collection – 121 long or sesquipedalian words with a clue how to read:
1) Word: INCOMPREHENSIBILITY (19 letters)
How to read: IN / COMPRE / HENSI / BILITY
Meaning: Difficulty to understand or comprehend
2) Word: HYPEROXYSOPHISTICAL (19 letters)
How to read: HYPEROXY / SOPHISTICAL
Meaning: Overly specious
3) Word: ULTRACREPIDARIANISM (19 letters)
How to read: ULTRA / CREPI / DARIAN / ISM
Meaning: The habit of giving opinions and advice on matters outside of one’s knowledge.
4) Word: QUATTUORVIGINTILLION (20 letters)
How to read: QUATTUOR / VIGIN / TI LLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 75 zeros
5) Word: OPHTHALMOSPINTHERISM (20 letters)
How to read: OPHTHALMO / SPINTHER / ISM
Meaning: The sensation of seeing spots before one’s eyes
6) Word: PHILOTHEOPAROPTESISM (20 letters)
How to read: PHILO / THEO / PAROPTESISM
Meaning: The practice of “roasting over a slow fire” those who have suffered the church’s displeasure
7) Word: COMICONOMENCLATURIST (20 letters)
How to read: COMICO / NOMEN / CLATURIST
Meaning: Someone who collects funny names
8) Word: QUINQUADRAGINTILLION (20 letters)
How to read: QUIN / QUADRA / GIN / TI LLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 138 zeros
9) Word: OCTOQUADRAGINTILLION (20 letters)
How to read: OCTO / QUADRA / GIN / TI LLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 147 zeros
10) Word: DUOQUINQUAGINTILLION (20 letters)
How to read: DUO / QUINQUA / GIN / TI LLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 159 zeros
11) Word: SEXQUINQUAGINTILLION (20 letters)
How to read: SEX / QUINQUA / GIN / TI LLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 171 zeros
12) Word: TREQUINQUAGINTILLION (20 letters)
How to read: TRE / QUINQUA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 162 zeros
13) Word: MICROMINIATURIZATION (20 letters)
How to read: MICRO / MINIATUR / IZATION
Meaning: Construction of something on a scale which is smaller than miniature
14) Word: DISPROPORTIONABLENESS (21 letters)
How to read: DIS / PROPORTION / ABLENESS
Meaning: The state or condition of being disproportionable. This word is frequently cited as the longest English word in general usage.
15) Word: QUATTUORTRIGINTILLION (21 letters)
How to read: QUATTUOR / TRI / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 105
16) Word: OSTEOCHONDRODYSPLASIA (21 letters)
How to read: OSTEO / CHONDRO / DYSPLASIA
Meaning: It is a general term for a disorder of the development of bone and cartilage
17) Word: BENZOTRITHIADIAZEPINE (21 letters)
How to read: BENZO / TRITHIA / DIAZEPINE
Meaning: This is an aromatic organic chemical compound
18) Word: OTORHINOLARYNGOLOGIST (21 letters)
How to read: OTO / RHINO / LARYNGO / LOGIST
Meaning: An ENT Specialist
19) Word: MUCOPOLYSACCHARIDOSIS (21 letters)
How to read: MUCO / POLY / SACCHARI / DOSIS
Meaning: Any of a group of inherited metabolic disorders in which mucopolysaccharides accumulate in various tissues, often leading to skeletal abnormalities, mental retardation, and reduced life expectancy.
20) Word: OCTOQUINQUAGINTILLION (21 letters)
How to read: OCTO / QUINQUA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 177 zeros
21) Word: QUINQUINQUAGINTILLION (21 letters)
How to read: QUIN / QUINQUA / GIN / TI LLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 168 zeros
22) Word: NOVEMQUADRAGINTILLION (21 letters)
How to read: NOVEM / QUADRA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 150 zeros
23) Word: SEPTENQUADRAGINTILLION (22 letters)
How to read: SEPTEN / QUADRA / GINT / ILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 144 zeros
24) Word: NOVEMQUINQUAGINTILLION (22 letters)
How to read: NOVEM / QUINQUA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 180 zeros
25) Word: QUATTUORNONAGINTILLION (22 letters)
How to read: QUATTUOR / NONA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 285 zeros
26) Word: BATHYSIDERODROMOPHOBIA (22 letters)
How to read: BATHY / SIDERO / DROMO / PHOBIA
Meaning: The irrational fear of subways and the underground in general
27) Word: GYNOTIKOLOBOMASSOPHILE (22 letters)
How to read: GYNO /TIKOLO / BOMASSO / PHILE
Meaning: A person who likes to nibble a woman’s earlobe
28) Word: INTERDENOMINATIONALISM (22 letters)
How to read: INTER / DENOMI / NATIONAL / ISM
Meaning: The principle of fostering intercommunion and cooperative activities among different religious denominations.
29) Word: OSTEOCHONDRODYSTROPHIA (22 letters)
How to read: OSTEO / CHONDRO / DYSTRO / PHIA
Meaning: The name of a disease, also known as “Morquio’s syndrome”.
30) Word: PALAEOTOPOMORPHOLOGIST (22 letters)
How to read: PALAEO / TOPO / MORPHO / LOGIST
Meaning: One who studies the configuration (topography) of land surfaces as a means of detecting and locating settlements, artefacts, or other traces of primitive man.
31) Word: DEINSTITUTIONALISATION (22 letters)
How to read: DE / INSTI / TUTIONAL / ISATION
Meaning: It is the process of replacing long-stay psychiatric hospitals with less isolated community mental health services for those diagnosed with a mental disorder or developmental disability.
32) Word: DYSMORPHOSTEOPALINKLASY (23 letters)
How to read: DYS /MORPHO / STEO / PALINK / LASY
Meaning: The operation of refracturing a bone which has healed with deformity after a fracture.
33) Word: PANCREATICODUODENOSTOMY (23 letters)
How to read: PANCREA / TICO / DUO /DENOSTOMY
Meaning: Surgical formation of an artificial opening connecting the pancreas to the duodenum.
34) Word: SEPTENQUINQUAGINTILLION (23 letters)
How to read: SEPTEN / QUINQUA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 174 zeros
35) Word: PSYCHONEUROENDOCRINOLOGY (24 letters)
How to read: PSYCHO / NEURO / ENDOCRIN / OLOGY
Meaning: The branch of science concerned with the relationships among the psychology, the nervous system, and the endocrine system.
36) Word: PARASKAVEDEKATRIAPHOBIA (23 letters)
How to read: PARASKA / VEDEKA / TRIA / PHOBIA
Meaning: Fear of Friday the 13th
37) Word: QUATTUORQUADRAGINTILLION (24 letters)
How to read: QUATTUOR / QUADRA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 135
38) Word: QUATTUORSEPTUAGINTILLION (24 letters)
How to read: QUATTUOR / SEPTUA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 225
39) Word: HYPERBETALIPOPROTEINEMIA (24 letters)
How to read: HYPER / BETA / LIPO / PROTEINEMIA
Meaning: The presence of excess LDLs in the blood
40) Word: QUATTUORQUINQUAGINTILLION (25 letters)
How to read: QUATTUOR / QUINQUA / GIN / TILLION
Meaning: The number 1 followed by 165 zeros
41) Word: ESOPHAGOGASTROANASTOMOSIS (25 letters)
How to read: ESO / PHAGO / GASTRO / ANASTOMOSIS
Meaning: An anastomosis between esophagus and the stomach
42) Word: HEMANGIOENDOTHELIOSARCOMA (25 letters)
How to read: HEMANGIO / ENDO / THELIO / SARCOMA
Meaning: The name given to a type of tumour
43) Word: LIPOMUCOPOLYSACCHARIDOSIS (25 letters)
How to read: LIPO / MUCO / POLY / SACCHARIDOSIS
Meaning: A kind of disease
44) Word: IMMUNOELECTROPHORETICALLY (25 letters)
How to read: IMMUNO / ELECTRO / PHORETI / CALLY
Meaning: As regards or by means of electrophoresis
45) Word: PHILOSOPHICOPSYCHOLOGICAL (25 letters)
How to read: PHILO / SOPHICO / PSYCHO / LOGICAL
Meaning: Pertaining to that which is both philosophical and psychological
46) Word: ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIAN (25 letters)
How to read: ANTI / DIS / ESTABLISHMENT / ARIAN
Meaning: One who believes that the Church of England should retain its formal constitutional relationship with the State.
47) Word: URETEROTRIGONOENTEROSTOMY (25 letters)
How to read: URETERO / TRIGONO / ENTER / OSTOMY
Meaning: Implantation of a ureter and its portion of the trigone of the bladder into the intestine.
48) Word: SYNGENESIOTRANSPLANTATION (25 letters)
How to read: SYN / GENESIO / TRANS / PLANTATION
Meaning: A graft of tissue between closely related individuals
49) Word: THYROPARATHYROIDECTOMIZED (25 letters)
How to read: THYRO / PARA / THYROID / ECTOMIZED
Meaning: Having undergone surgical removal of the thyroid and parathyroid gland
50) Word: GASTROJEJUNOESOPHAGOSTOMY: (25 letters)
How to read: GASTRO / JEJUNO / ESOPHAG / OSTOMY
Meaning: Gastroesophageal reflux
51) Word: SPECTROHELIOKINEMATOGRAPH: (25 letters)
How to read: SPECTRO / HELIO / KINEMATO / GRAPH
Meaning: Camera for taking pictures of the sun
52) Word: ANHYDROHYDROXYPROGESTERONE (26 letters)
How to read: ANHYDRO / HYDROXY / PROGESTERONE
Meaning: A synthetic crystalline female sex hormone
53) Word: CYSTOURETEROPYELONEPHRITIS (26 letters)
How to read: CYSTO / URETERO / PYELO / NEPHRITIS
Meaning: A combined inflammation of the urinary bladder, ureters, and kidneys
54) Word: HEMANGIOENDOTHELIOBLASTOMA (26 letters)
How to read: HEMANGIO / ENDO / THELIO / BLASTOMA
Meaning: A kind of tumour
55) Word: IODOCHLOROHYDROXYQUINOLINE (26 letters)
How to read: IODO / CHLORO / HYDROXY / QUINOLINE
Meaning: The name of a medicine used for many types of skin diseases
56) Word: PNEUMOENCEPHALOGRAPHICALLY (26 letters)
How to read: PNEUMO / ENCEPHALO / GRAPHI / CALLY
Meaning: Relating to roentgenography of the brain after the injection of air into the ventricles.
57) Word: RADIOIMMUNOELECTROPHORESIS (26 letters)
How to read: RADIO / IMMUNO / ELECTRO / PHORESIS
Meaning: Immunoelectrophoresis using antigens or antibodies labelled with radioisotopes.
58) Word: ANTITRANSUBSTANTIATIONALIST (27 letters)
How to read: ANTI / TRAN / SUB / STANTIATIONAL / IST
Meaning: One who disagrees with the concept of or belief in the transubstantiation doctrine of the Catholic Church.
59) Word: ENCEPHALOMYELORADICULOPATHY (27 letters)
How to read: ENCEPHALO / MYELO / RADICULO / PATHY
Meaning: A disease involving the brain, spinal cord, and spinal nerve roots
60) Word: ETHYLENEDIAMINETETRAACETATE (27 letters)
How to read: ETHYLENE / DIAMINE / TETRA / ACETATE
Meaning: A salt of EDTA
61) Word: HONORIFICABILITUDINITATIBUS (27 letters)
How to read: HONORIFI / CABILI / TUDI / NITATI / BUS
Meaning: 1) The state of being able to achieve honours
2) With honorableness (a nonsense word from medieval literature)
3) Honorableness (a nonsense word from medieval literature)
62) Word: HYDROXYDESOXYCORTICOSTERONE (27 letters)
How to read: HYDROXY / DESOXY / CORTICO / STERONE
Meaning: A crystalline steroid hormone
63) Word: PSYCHONEUROENDOCRINOLOGICAL (27 letters)
How to read: PSYCHO / NEURO / ENDO / CRINOLOGICAL
Meaning: Of or pertaining to psychoneuroendocrinology – the clinical study of hormone fluctuations and their relationship to human behavior.
64) Word: OCTAMETHYLPYROPHOSPHORAMIDE (27 letters)
How to read: OCTA / METHYL / PYRO / PHOSPHORAMIDE
Meaning: A type of insecticide
65) Word: SPECTROPHOTOFLUOROMETRICALLY (28 letters)
How to read: SPECTRO / PHOTO / FLUORO / METRICALLY
Meaning: Describing the use of a spectrophotofluorometer, an instrument that measures the amount of light given off in a color band to trace and measure tiny components of a sample of blood, body tissue or other substance.
66) Word: HEPATICOCHOLANGIOGASTROSTOMY (28 letters)
How to read: HEPATICO / CHOLANGIO / GASTROSTOMY
Meaning: To clear a blockage from the hepatic duct to ensure it functions properly
67) Word: ANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM (28 letters)
How to read: ANTI /DIS / ESTABLISHMENT / ARIANISM
Meaning: A political philosophy opposed to the separation of a religious group (“church”) and a government (“state”), especially the belief held by those in 19th century England opposed to separating the Anglican Church from the civil government.
68) Word: FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION (29 letters)
How to read: FLOCCI / NAUCINI / HILIPI / LIFI / CATION
Meaning: The action or habit of estimating something as worthless
69) Word: POLIOENCEPHALOMENINGOMYELITIS (29 letters)
How to read: POLIO / ENCEPHALO / MENINGO / MYELITIS
Meaning: Inflammation of the grey matter of the brain and spinal cord and of the meningeal covering of the parts.
70) Word: TRINITROPHENYLMETHYLNITRAMINE (29 letters)
How to read: TRINITRO / PHENYL / METHYL / NITRAMINE
Meaning: A type of explosive
71) Word: OCTYLPHENOXYPOLYETHOXYETHANOL (29 letters)
How to read: OCTYL / PHENOXY / POLY / ETHOXY / ETHANOL
Meaning: A process for producing a split influenza virus preparation
72) Word: HEXAKOSIOIHEXEKONTAHEXAPHOBIA (29 letters)
How to read: HEXA / KOSIOI / HEXEKONTA / HEXA / PHOBIA
Meaning: Fear of the number six hundred sixty-six
73) Word: EELLOGOFUSCIOUHIPOPPOKUNURIOUS (30 letters)
How to read: EELLOGO / FUSCIOU / HIPOPPO / KUNURIOUS
74) Word: PSEUDOPSEUDOHYPOPARATHYROIDISM (30 letters)
How to read: PSEUDO / PSEUDO / HYPO / PARA / THYROIDISM
Meaning: A mild inherited condition in which the sufferer has symptoms similar to those of pseudohypoparathyroidism.
75) Word: ENCEPHALOMYELORADICULONEURITIS (30 letters)
How to read: ENCEPHALO / MYELO / RADICULO / NEURITIS
Meaning: A syndrome of virus origin that is associated with encephalitis.
76) Word: HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPEDALIAN (30 letters)
How to read: HIPPO / POTO / MONSTRO / SESQUI /PEDALIAN
Meaning: Pertaining to a very, very long word
77) Word: DICHLORODIPHENYLTRICHLOROETHANE (31 letters)
How to read: DICHLORO / DIPHENYL / TRICHLORO / ETHANE
Meaning: This is the expanded form of the familiar insecticide DDT
78) Word: ULTRAANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM (33 letters)
How to read: ULTRA / ANTI / DIS / ESTABLISHMENT / ARIANISM
Meaning: Extreme opposition to the withdrawal of state support from a church
79) Word: PSEUDOANTIDISESTABLISHMENTARIANISM (34 letters)
How to read: PSEUDO / ANTI / DIS / ESTABLISHMENT / ARIANISM
Meaning: False opposition to the withdrawal of state support from a church
80) Word: SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS (34 letters)
How to read: SUPER / CALI / FRAGI / LISTIC / EXPIA / LIDOCIOUS
Meaning: It means fantastic, wonderful, fabulous. (This word was used by the children in a song in the movie “Mary Poppins”)
81) Word: HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPPEDALIOPHOBIA (36letters)
How to read: HIPPO / POTO / MONSTRO / SESQUI / PPEDALIO / PHOBIA
Meaning: For a fear of long word
82) Word: HEPATICOCHOLANGIOCHOLECYSTENTEROSTOMY (37 letters)
How to read: HEPATICO / CHOLANGIO / CHOLE / CYST / ENTER / OSTOMY
Meaning: Surgical creation of a connection between the gallbladder and a hepatic duct and between the intestine and the gallbladder.
83) Word: PRAETERTRANSSUBSTANTIATIONALISTICALLY (37 letters)
How to read: PRAETER / TRANS / SUB / STANTIATIONAL / ISTICALLY
Meaning: It means the act of surpassing the act of transubstantiation, which refers specifically to the transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ during the Roman Catholic mass
84) Word: VELOCIPEDESTRIANISTICALISTURIANOLOGIST (38 letters)
How to read: VELOCI / PEDESTRIA / NISTI / CALISTURIAN / OLOGIST
Meaning: One who performs daring or amusing acts on a bicycle. This word was coined by a British journalist named James Colly.
85) Word: TETRAMETHYLDIAMINOBENZHYDRYLPHOSPHINOUS (39 letters)
How to read: TETRA / METHYL / DIAMINO / BENZHYDRYL / PHOSPHINOUS
Meaning: A type of acid
86) Word: HEPATICOCHOLECYSTOSTCHOLECYSTENTEROSTOMY (40 letters)
How to read: HEPATICO / CHOLE / CYSTOST / CHOLE / CYST / ENTERO / STOMY
Meaning: The surgical formation of a passage between the gall bladder and hepatic duct, on the one hand, and between the intestine and the gall bladder, on the other.
87) Word: PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS (45 letters)
How to read: PNEUMONO / ULTRA / MICRO / SCOPIC / SILICO / VOLCANO / CONIOSIS
Meaning: A lung disease caused by inhaling sand, ash or quartz; also known as silicosis.
88) Word: OSSEOCARNISANGUINEOVISCERICARTILAGININERVOMEDULLARY (51 letters)
How to read: OSSEO / CARNI / SANGUINEO / VISCERICARTI / LAGINI / NERVO / MEDULLARY
Meaning: Created by English novelist Thomas Love Peacock (1785-1866) and used in his novel Headlong Hall. It’s a description of the structure of the human body.
89) Word: AEQUEOSALINOCALCALINOCERACEOALUMINOSOCUPREOVITRIOLIC (52 letters)
How to read: AEQUEO / SALINO / CALCALINO / CERACEO / ALUMINO / SOCUPREO / VITRIOLIC
Meaning: This term was created by Dr. Edward Strother, an English medical writer (1675-1737) to describe the spa waters at Bristol, England.
90) Word: DIISOBUTYLPHENOXYETHOXYETHYLDIMETHYLBENZYLAMMONIUMCHLORIDE (58 letters)
How to read: DI / ISOBUTYL / PHENOXY / ETHOXY / ETHYL / DIMETHYL / BENZYL / AMMONIUM / CHLORIDE
Meaning: It is the name of a medicine. This word was first published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
91) Word: LOPADOTEMACHOSELACHOGALEOKRANIOLEIPSANODRIMHYPOTRIMMATOSILPHIOPARAOMELITOKATAKECHYMENOKICHLEPIKOSSYPHOPHATTOPERISTERALEKTRYONOPTEKEPHALLIOKIGKLOPELEIOLAGOIOSIRAIOBAPHETRAGANOPTERYGON (182 letters)
How to read: LOPADO / TEMACHOSELACHO / GALEO / KRANIO / LEIPSANO / DRIMHYPO / TRIMMATO / SILPHIO / PARAO / MELITO / KATAKECHYMENO / KICHLEPIKOSSYPHO / PHATTO / PERISTERALEKTRYO / NOPTEKEPHALLIO / KIGKLO / PELEIO / LAGOIO / SIRAIO / BAPHETRAGANO / PTERYGON
Meaning: It is a fictional dish mentioned in Aristophanes’ comedy Assemblywomen. This is the English transliteration of a Greek word that appears in Aristophanes’ play The Ecclesiazusae. The Greek word has 172 letters and 78 syllables. The transliteration has 182 characters. It is the longest word ever to appear in literature according to Guinness Book of World Records (1990).
And finally two more long words which are very difficult to pronounce…….,
METHIONYLGLUTAMINYLARGINYLTYROSYLGLUTAMYL…………..SERINE (1,909 letters)
Longest Published Word (Not provided full word)
METHIONYLTHREONYLTHREONYLGLUTAMINYLALANYL………….ISOLEUCINE (189,819 letters) (Not provided full word)
It is a chemical name for the human protein – titin. This is the world longest word which contains 189,819 letters exactly and takes about three-and-a-half hours to read completely.
List of 10 long words of 100-letters created by James Joyce
Here are 10 words which contain 100 letters in each coined and used in a famous novel Finnegans Wake by an eminent writer James Joyce. These words appear on different pages of the novel, and are a symbolic of thunderclap representing the fall of Adam and Eve.
Thunderword #1 from page 1 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
BABABADALGHARAGHTAKAMMINARRONNKONNBRONNTONNERRONNTUONNTHUNNTROVARRHOUNAWNSKAWNTOOHOOHOORDENENTHURNUK (100 letters)
How to read:
BABABADAL / GHARAGHTA / KAMMINARRONNKONN / BRONN / TONNERRONN / TUONN / THUNN / TROVARR / HOUNAWNSKAWN / TOOHOOHOORDENEN / THURNUK
Thunderword #2 from page 23 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
PERKODHUSKURUNBARGGRUAUYAGOKGORLAYORGROMGREMMITGHUNDHURTHRUMATHUNARADIDILLIFAITITILLI BUMULLUNUKKUNUN (100 letters)
How to read:
PERKODHUS / KURUN / BARGGRUAUYA / GOKGORLAYOR / GROMGREMMIT / GHUNDHUR / THRUMA / THUNA / RADIDILLI / FAITITILLI / BUMULLUN / UKKUNUN
Thunderword #3 from page 44 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
94) Word: KLIKKAKLAKKAKLASKAKLOPATZKLATSCHABATTACREPPYCROTTYGRADGHSEMMIHSAMMIHNOUITHAPPLUDDYAPPLADDYPKONPKOT (100 letters)
How to read:
KLIKKAK / LAKKAK / LASKAKLOPATZ / KLATSCHA / BATTA / CREPPYCROTTY / GRADDAGH / SEMMIHSAMMIH / NOUITH / APPLUDDY / APPLADDY / PKONPKOT
Thunderword #4 from page 90 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
95) Word: BLADYUGHFOULMOECKLENBURGWHURAWHORASCORTASTRUMPAPORNANENNYKOCKSAPASTIPPATAPPATUPPERSTRIPPUCKPUTTANACH (100 letters)
How to read:
BLADYUGHFOUL / MOECKLENBURG / WHURA / WHORA / SCORTA / STRUMPA / PORNA / NENNY / KOCKSAPAS / TIPPA / TAPPA / TUPPER / STRIPPUCK / PUTTANACH
Thunderword #5 from page 113 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
96) Word: THINGCROOKLYEXINEVERYPASTURESIXDIXLIKENCEHIMAROUNDHERSTHEMAGGERBYKINKINKANKANWITHDOWNMINDLOOKINGATED (100 letters)
How to read:
THINGCROOKLY / EXINEVERYPASTURE / SIXDIXLIKENCE / HIMAROUNDHERS / THEMAGGERBY / KINKINKANKAN / WITHDOWNMIND / LOOKINGATED
Thunderword #6 from page 257 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
97) Word: LUKKEDOERENDUNANDURRASKEWDYLOOSHOOFERMOYPORTERTOORYZOOYSPHALNABORTANSPORTHAOKANSAKROIDVERJKAPAKKAPUK (100 letters)
How to read:
LUKKEDOEREN / DUNANDURRAS / KEWDYLOO SHOO / FERMOYPORTER / TOORYZOOY / SPHALNABORTAN / SPORTHAOKAN / SAKROIDVERJ / KAPAKKAPUK
Thunderword #7 from page 314 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
98) Word: BOTHALLCHORACTORSCHUMMINAROUNDGANSUMUMINARUMDRUMSTRUMTRUMINAHUMPTADUMPWAULTOPOOFOOLOODERAMAUNSTURNP (100 letters)
How to read:
BOTH ALL CHORACTORS CHUMM / IN A ROUND GANSUMUM / IN A RUM DRUM STRUM TRUM / IN A HUMPTADUMP / WAUL TOPOOFOO / LOODERAMAUNS / TURN UP
Thunderword #8 from page 332 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
99) Word: PAPPAPPAPPARRASSANNUARAGHEALLACHNATULLAGHMONGANMACMACMACWHACKFALLTHERDEBBLENONTHEDUBBLANDADDYDOODLED (100 letters)
How to read:
PAPPAPPAPPARRASS / ANNUARAGHEALLACH / NATULLAGHMONGAN / MACMACMAC / WHACKFALLTHERDEBBLE / NONTHEDUBBLAN DADDYDOODLED
Thunderword #9 from page 414 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
100) Word: HUSSTENHASSTENCAFFINCOFFINTUSSEMTOSSEMDAMANDAMNACOSAGHCUSAGHHOBIXHATOUXPESWCHBECHOSCASHLCARCARCARACT (100 letters)
How to read:
HUSSTENHASSTEN / CAFFINCOFFIN / TUSSEMTOSSEM / DAMANDAMNA / COSAGHCUSAGH / HOBIXHATOUX / PESWCHBECHOS / CASHLCARCARCARACT
Thunderword #10 from page 424 of James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake
101) Word: ULLHODTURDENWEIRMUDGAARDGRINGNIRURDRMOLNIRFENRIRLUKKILOKKIBAUGIMANDODRRERINSURTKRINMGERNRACKINAROCKAR (100 letters)
How to read:
ULLHOD / TURDENWEIR / MUDGAARD / GRINGNIR / URDR / MOLNIR / FENRIR / LUKKILOKKI / BAUGIMAND / ODRRERIN / SURTKRINMGERN / RACKINAROCKAR
List of 20 long names of the places (23 letters to 85 letters)
102) NIZHNENOVOKUTLUMBETYEVO (23 letters)
It is a village name in Matveyevsky District, Orenburg Oblast, Russia. The word comes from Russian In Cyrillic Alphabet which means “The lower new settlement named after Kutlumbet (a Turkic male personal name)”.
103) NUNATHLOOGAGAMIUTBINGOI (23 letters)
It is the name of a beach on the southeastern coast of Nunivak Island in Bethel Census Area, Alaska, United States. It is written in Nunivak Cup’ig language.
104) ONAFHANKELIJKHEIDSPLEIN (23 letters)
It is a town square in Paramaribo, the capital of Suriname. The square is situated in the historical inner city, near the Suriname River and the presidential palace. The word has been coined form the Dutch Language which means “Independence Square”
105) KVERNBERGSUNDSØDEGÅRDEN (23 letters)
It is located in Ringerike, Buskerud, Norway. This word comes from the Language Norwegian and it means “The Deserted Farm of The Mill Mountain Strait”
106) SVALBARÐSSTRANDARHREPPUR (24 letters)
It is the name of a municipality located in northern-central Iceland, in Northeastern Region. The word comes from Icelandic language and it means “Cool Edge’s Shore’s Municipality“.
107) VERKHNENOVOKUTLUMBETYEVO (24 letters)
It is the name of a village in Orenburg Oblast, Russia. The word comes from Russian Language which means “The upper new settlement named after Kutlumbet (a Turkic male personal name)”
108) STARONIZHESTEBLIYEVSKAYA (24 letters)
It is a village in Krasnoarmeysky district of the Krasnodar Krai Territory, Russia. This word has been coined from Russian In Cyrillic Alphabet which means “The old settlement named after Nizhne-Stebliyevskiy kurin (of Zaporizhian Sich)”.
109) BULLAUNANCHEATHRAIRALUINN (25 letters)
Name of a village – bullaun in County Galway, Republic of Ireland. This word comes from Anglicisation of Irish meaning “Bullaun of the Four Beauties”.
110) GASSELTERBOERVEENSCHEMOND (25 letters)
It is a hamlet in the Dutch province of Drenthe, Netherlands. This word comes from Dutch Language meaning “Delta of Gasselt’s (surname) farmer’s bog”.
111) MAMUNGKUKUMPURANGKUNTJUNYA (26 letters)
It is a hill in South Australia, Australia. The name means “where the devil urinates” in the regional Pitjantjatjara Language.
112) SCHMEDESWURTHERWESTERDEICH (26 letters)
It is a hamlet outside the village of Schmedeswurth, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. This word comes from German Language which means “West levee of the smith’s hill-village”.
113) BOVENENDVANKEELAFSNYSLEEGTE (27 letters)
It is a farm located in the Upper Karoo in Northern Cape, South Africa. Its name is in Afrikaans and means “Upper end of throat-cut valley”.
114) VENKATANARASIMHARAJUVARIPETA (28letters)
It is the name of a railway station in Andhra Pradesh on the border with Tamil Nadu. It is considered the longest one-word place name in India.
115) PEKWACHNAMAYKOSKWASKWAYPINWANIK (31 letters)
It is the name of a lake in Manitoba, Canada. The word has come from Cree Language which means “where the wild trout are caught by fishing with hooks”.
116) ÄTERITSIPUTERITSIPUOLILAUTATSIJÄNKÄ (35letters)
It is a bog (wetland) region in Savukoski, Lapland in Finland. It is the longest place name in Finland, and also the second longest in Europe.
117) AZPILICUETAGARAYCOSAROYARENBERECOLARREA (39 letters)
A place name in Azpilkueta, Navarra, Spain. This name has been coined from Basque Language which means “The low field of high pen of Azpilikueta”.
118) TWEEBUFFELSMETEENSKOOTMORSDOODGESKIETFONTEIN (44 letters)
It is the name of a farm in the North West province of South Africa. This is word is coined from Afrikaans Language which means “Two-Buffalos-With-One-Shot-Completely-Dead-Shot-Fountain”.
119) CHARGOGGAGOGGMANCHAUGGAGOGGCHAUBUNAGUNGAMAUGG (45 letters)
This is the name of a lake in Webster, Massachusetts, United States. This word has been coined from the Language Nipmuc which means “Fishing Place at the Boundaries – Neutral Meeting Grounds”.
120) LLANFAIRPWLLGWYNGYLLGOGERYCHWYRNDROBWLLLLANTYSILIOGOGOGOCH (58 letters)
This is the name of a large community of villages in Wales found on the Islands of Anglesey. This word has been coined form the language Welsh which means “Saint Mary’s Church in a hollow of white hazel near the rapid whirlpool of the church of Saint Tysilio with a red cave”.
121) TAUMATAWHAKATANGIHANGAKOAUAUOTAMATEATURIPUKAKAPIKIMAUNGAHORONUKUPOKAIWHENUAKITANATAHU (85 letters)
It is the name of a hill near Porangahau, south of Waipukurau in southern Hawke’s Bay, New Zealand. This hill is 305 metres tall and gained world-wide significance as the longest name which has been coined in Maori language. It has been translated to mean “The summit where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, the climber of mountains, the land-swallower who travelled about, played his nose flute to his loved one”. This hill has been listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest official place name in the world.